Saturday, October 31, 2009

Silence in our home.

Every October 31st our home is quiet and peaceful. Why you ask? Because we do not celebrate the secular holiday, Halloween. Let me be clear...

We do NOT celebrate Halloween.

We do NOT celebrate All Hallows Eve.

We do NOT celebrate All Saints Day.

We do not do costumes, or anything of the like.

We do not attend fall festivals on the 31st.

We do not accept churches that try to go against Halloween by having kids dress up as Bible characters (this is the worst offense for me).


Obviously I am VERY adamant about my feelings for this holiday. I do not like all of "spiritual roots" and "scaring the dead away." In my book, it is evil, and I cannot make it right. Believe me, when I had kids, I wanted to celebrate, but every year I reread my literature and I know I am doing what is best for my kids.

I grew celebrating Halloween until I was 10, that is the year my mom became convicted, and we never celebrated again. And truthfully, I didn't care. My kids are older now, they have read about some of Halloween's historical roots, and they have NO DESIRE to be a part of that.

Michael had to go into a Halloween store with his dad this week, and he spent the night crying about all of the "evil stuff he could not get out of his head." There is nothing quite like a child's conviction, it is powerful.

I encourage you all to read the historcal background of this pagan holiday. Maybe you too will have nice, quiet October 31st family nights. :-)

For more on Halloween, click the link below, Wikipedia has nailed it, well, it says the same stuff that my books say. :-)

HALLOWEEN LINK


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment