Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tragedy



I honestly do not know if I can get through this blog, but I will try.

This morning I woke up to my mom screaming for me. I jumped out of bed and ran into the living room, there was blood everywhere, it looked like a horror movie. My mom was trembling uncontrollably, and hysterically crying. That is when I looked down and saw the most gruesome thing I have ever seen...

My precious baby girl, Lisa, was laying on the mattress, soaked in blood (it looked as if she had been dipped in blood), and gashes so deep that you could see her bones and tendons. Her lips had been torn and were hanging from her hurt face. My mom was finally able to get the words out...

"The other dogs would not get off her, they were attacking her like a pack of wolves."

At this point I got numb, and don't really remember a lot of the next hour or so. My mom just stood there shaking and crying, my boys were laying in Lisa, covered in blood as well, trying to comfort her. She was not dead, but almost.

We began calling every vet in town begging someone to make a house call, since Lisa could not get up, and we could not move a 120 pound dog. While my mom and I were trying to get help, Steve came home and sat with Lisa and the boys. When they all began loving her and talking to her, she finally felt safe. All the other dogs were outside....AND NOT WELCOME IN OUR HOME!

Our dogs have always gotten along famously, and I honestly did not think they were capable of such cruelty. I don't know why they chose Lisa, she is the most docile dog we own. But when I looked out the sliding glass doors, the scene outside was just as bad as the one inside.

All of the dogs faces were covered in blood...some of them were covered head to toe. They looked like wild dogs, not domesticated dogs. The saddest part is, the two that had the most blood were Wendall and Lola, whom have always been Lisa's best friends. My heart was filled with hatred and rage toward them...something I have NEVER EVER EVER felt towards any animal.

During my evaluation of the situation, we finally got someone to agree to come to our house. He was a horse vet, but he was very polite and understanding of our hysteria. He looked at Lisa, head to toe, and decided that she had to be put down. :'( I can't stand talking about this...

My mom, Michael, and I left the room while he put her to sleep...Steve and Samuel wanted to stay with her. I asked Samuel not to, but he insisted, so I did not fight him. And he is glad he stayed, he told me, "I am just glad she is out of pain now mom." as tears filled his eyes.

We then asked the vet to look outside at the other dogs, and he agreed that they all needed to be put to sleep. He said the fact that they turned so quickly makes them "unpredictable" and therefore unsafe to be around the other pets and my children. I think all dogs can be unpredictable at times, but I have never seen the world's sweetest dogs turn so quickly and so violently.

We are leaving in 20 minutes to put down the 5 that attacked her. It is going to be hard, since they were family for so long, but if you had seen my blood covered house and yard, and a half eaten dog laying on the mattress, you would do the same thing. So today we say goodbye to Lola, Wendall, Fergie, Bootsie, and Helga. And while this will be hard on us, we know we have to do it. But it does not even compare to losing Lisa the way we did, she did not deserve that at all.

I am worried about my mom, she actually witnessed the fight and was desperately trying to break it up. She just wails and keeps repeating, "How will I ever get that image out of my head?" She needs prayer for peace, she is hurting so bad. I am sure watching a dog be killed is the worst thing in the entire world, and I am so sad that she saw it happen to her beloved dog. :'(

There will never be another Lisa. She would lay on the couch every night and have "conversations" with my mom, and I actually think she was "talking" to her. She would get up next to Steve and do "smacky lips" and gently kiss his face. When she was feeling overwhelmed with love she would go get a king size quilt and suck on it until she fell asleep with it in her mouth, like a pacifier. She would run out with the boys to play the "bubble game" and the "water game." She will be missed more than words can explain. I love her so much, my whole family loved her. :-( Goodbye princess, goodbye Miss July, goodbye LooberDoober, goodbye my love.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment