Sunday, August 2, 2009

The Letter

Okay...here goes...

It has probably been two weeks now since I wrote each of my boys a letter. It was late one night and went in their room to check on them. I got to think about how very much I loved them. So I decided to write them each a letter that they could keep forever.

Basically the letter was just saying how proud I was of who they have become, and how much I loved them, and how I will always be there for them, and how proud I am that they are such strong Christians. You know, mom stuff.

Much to my surprise, both boys read the letters and came into my room frantically crying and couldn't catch their breath. I had NO CLUE what had made them react like this to a sweet note.

After I calmed them, Samuel blurted out, "We thought you were leaving us with a note since dad left you with a note."

OH MY GOSH! I was so shocked that they would even think that. :-( I did a lot of crying that night after they went to bed.

I spent TWO HOURS...yes, TWO...talking to them about how I was in this thing forever. There is no getting rid of me. I also told them that I would NEVER EVER EVER give them bad news in a note, I would talk to them about it. After I said this a billion and one times, they finally started to realize that notes are not always bad.

Even after they were calm, Michael continued to say that he would rather me tell him how much I love him instead of writing him a note. I explained that I wrote it so he would have it forever. Samuel understood that and said he still wants to get notes from me, he likes the idea of it. But Michael NEVER wants to see a note again. :-( I do believe that he will work past that fear one day.

I love these two boys more than anything in this world. Words cannot describe how I feel about them. I would do anything for them, anything to protect them, and anything to keep them happy and healthy. I just hope that they grow up to know how much their mom loves them.


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. aww this is the sweetest/saddest thing i have ever read. I completly understand their fear- at least you are teaching them that not all notes are "bitchass" notes and that notes can be good. When i had my car accident when we hit the brick wall in the rain- the kids would cry and shake (like a seizure or something) every time it rained!!!! you are an incredible mom Hollie and i honestly look up to you, and always have. you are the kids mom and dad and you will teach them how to be men i believe that to the fullest

    ReplyDelete