Thursday, April 23, 2009

Volunteer Time

I did my volunteer time today, it was amazing!! I followed a paraprofessional at Lake Center Christian who cares for a fourth grade, autistic female.

I learned so much, I will spit a paper out in no time.

The para was amazing with this child, unbelievably patient. She has been with the same child for two years now....and the progress the the girl has made breaks all autistic rules.

When the para started 2 yrs ago the girl never communicated or showed emotion, very typical autism. Now, she work on grade level, she show love for her friends, she can communicate very well...WOW! I cannot get over this.

This case is not typical, this girl has one of the strongest teams I have ever seen. She has the school that is doing everything to encourage independence. She has a mother that works with her at night to make sure she stays focused. She has many friends her age that help her with social skills. All of this combined is making the child become normal.

She is so blessed, I wish that all special needs got the same amount of love and support she gets. I learned so much today. :-) It was a good day. Long, but worth it.


Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. Is this the kind of thing you're going to school for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my degree is Human Development and Family Science...it is like a degree in Sociology, Psychology, or Social Work. Most people work with Job and Family Services when they finish. Some people want to do more one on one like I did with the volunteer time, not me though. I seriously think I should go the gerontology route when I finish. The little girl I worked with AMAZING, but this is not my calling. The para is repetitive all day long and that would make me crazy...it takes the right kind of person to do that job.

    ReplyDelete