Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Lifetime Changes

It's weird how things change over your lifetime.

You build relationships, you lose them. People that you love become people you can't recognize. Bonds that you thought couldn't be broken suddenly break.

Disease creeps in and tears people apart. Sickness shows a friend's true colors, and family member's true commitment. It can test your faith.

Children grow up needing you, then one day that stops. They cry for you not to leave at school on the first day of Kindergarten, then in the blink of an eye, they beg you not to follow them as they make their own way in life.

You learn that martial bonds or even friendships can be as strong as family bonds. You learn that blood might not always be there, but water will. And vice versa. You learn who really loves you, and who doesn't.

Divorce is a common word in this world, but not for those truly in love. Once you have found that person you have new desires- you want to know what 50 years together is life, you want to know every detail about the other person.

You look in the mirror one day and see a youthful child, and the next day you see a different person- one with fine lines under their tired eyes, and an overall exhaustion in their mannerisms. You see someone who has lived life, someone who has so many stories behind their tired eyes.

Age comes quicker than desired, and one day you will be the unwanted generation. You learn that being impatient with the older generation is not right, under any circumstance. A lesson you wish you could've learned earlier.

Advice is frequently given and rarely accepted. This is a truth that everyone will learn...usually the hard way.

There has been so much advice given to me in my lifetime, some I wish I had taken and some I wish I hadn't. I often sit back and reflect on my life, and all the different paths I have taken. Sometimes I get heartbroken, other times I am filled with joy, but most of the time I am in disbelief at how fast it has gone by.

Sometimes I wish life could be carefree, like when I was a little girl. My biggest worry was my brother outgrowing me and winning a fight. Now I worry about everything from finances to cancer to stability to safety to parenting. Life is stressful, there is no doubt about that.

I am thankful for my support system, it is stronger than any I know. I have my husband who has always been my rock, he genuinely wants me to be happy in everything I do. I would be lost without him. My mother, who grounds me...always keeping it real. She was my parent as a child and is my friend today- who could ask for anything more than that? And more importantly than anyone is God...where my faith rests. His grace helps to lift the burden from shoulders, and I honestly try to lay my problems at His feet. That is often easier said than done, but I do try.

I am not sure why I needed to blog again today. I think I had to just let go of some emotions. There is a lot going on in my life right now, and while I don't want to go into details, I wanted to share my life reflections. And look- I am starting to feel better...I quit crying about half way through the blog! Yep, I'll be fine. I always am.


Photobucket

1 comment: