Thursday, April 9, 2009

Reading w/the kiddos!

I have to blog about my reading experiences with Samuel and Michael. I try to read to them every night, I really want them to appreciate literature when they get older.

Anyhow, right now we are reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Samuel has already read all 3 books in the series, but I thought it was important for Michael to hear it. Michael NEVER wants to read, and these are great book to spark a kids interest in books.

Samuel talked about these books so much that I decided I had to see what all the fuss was about. Samuel reads about 2-4 chapters books per month, depending on the month, and he rarely thinks this highly of a book. Well, rarely thinks that is important enough to bother me with the smallest details of the book.

So, last we we opened it for the first time, and we have been laughing ever since. Samuel loves when I read to them, even though he knows the story. There is something about an adult bringing life to a story- they always know just how to read it. He loves hearing his teachers read as well, it is one of his favorite things about school.

So, tonight, I want to share with you some memorable lines from our book...even though we aren't even half way through it yet! Please, sit back and enjoy...

* Let me just say for the record that I think middle school is the dumbest idea ever invented. You got kids like me who haven't hit their growth spurt yet mixed with these gorillas who need to shave twice a day. And then they wonder why bullying is such a big problem in middle school. (Samuel rolled and rolled, mostly because he is the little scrawny one!)

* Today at school we got assigned to reading groups. They don't come right out and tell if you're in the Gifted group or the Easy group, but you can figure it out right away by looking at the covers of the books they hand out [Cartoon books drawn with the titles- BINKY SAYS BOO and EINSTEIN AS A CHILD]. (Again, Samuel rolled, he is in the gifted program and he hates nothing more than a slow reader! Michael didn't think it was so funny, as reading is not it strong suit.)

* Most kids wake up early on Saturday to watch cartoons or whatever, but not me. The only reason I get out of bed at all on the weekends is because eventually, I can't stand the taste of my own breath anymore.

Okay guys, three amazing tidbits from this amazing book. I highly recommend you get them all and start reading to your kids. Samuel says that the 3rd book is the funniest, I can't wait! Seriously, I can't freakin wait!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment