Friday, July 10, 2009

Critter Haven :)

I feel like I am surrounded by God's wonderful animals, and He constantly shows me how truly amazing animals are. I love learning their little personalities and individualistic behaviors. :)

I want to go over some very unique things going on at my house.

First, I have Callie, a very destructive kitten that tears everything to shreds. But, she loves to take a shower. You heard me right. Callie will jump in the shower when I get in. How freakin cute is that?

I have Lisa, my 120 pound great dane, who has OCD. She is nuts about shadows and we have to always keep the house dark so she won't bloody her nose chasing shadows. When she starts feeling loved, she goes and grabs a comforter and sucks on it until she falls asleep. A truly unique dog.

I have a squirrel that has adopted my house. He is always in my backyard, or in my trash cans, or on our trampoline. But today, we caught him in a jar of the dog's peanut butter outside. He was licking away, enjoy his tasty snack.

I have Pepe, the world's friendliest guinea pig. We rescued him from a bad situation, and I believe he is just showing his gratefulness. He is not like other cavies in that he does not scurry away when you stick your hand in a cage. He loves to be held and he will lick your hand. :-)

We have this bird that has built a nest on our light on our back porch. She built such an amazing nest and we watch her carefully sit on her eggs everyday. When we go out to look she flies to the fence ans squawks at us, but I think she knows we are not gonna hurt her. I am so thankful that she chose our home to have her babies at.

We have had baby squirrels fall out of our big shade tree before. Of course, the mother abandoned them. So we took them in and called a rescue. We fed them throughout the night and they were thriving. The rescue came out to get them the next day, I am so happy they were safe.

I have Fred, my basset, who is the smartest dog I have ever seen in my life. I never had to train him really, he always knew what to do. He can figure things out, I am sure he is part human. But the most incredible thing he does is with his nose. This dog can smell a PLAIN rawhide through 3 bags on top of the fridge. It is so incredible to watch a dog smell his way to something that NO ONE else in the world could smell.

I have also had a bat. Only for a night. The little guy got so cold that he froze during a windy/cold night. He was in my backyard not moving. We brought him in and once he warmed up he got comfy and went to sleep. We found a rescue for him the next day. I miss my bat so much.

I could go on for hours about all of my critter encounters. I would not trade any of these experiences for anything. I just love animals so very much. :-)


Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. What a blessed home your animals live in. They are blessed to have you loving them and looking after them. Kinda sounds like my home, except we have almost 30 birds. Not to mention the brim fish and crawfish the kids rescued when our neighbors pond overflowed! If the kids find it, they bring it inside and make a home for it. =)

    ReplyDelete