Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I finally rolled out of bed at 11am this morning. It was rough.

After Relay last night and came home to drama. So, I stayed up and blogged about it, then blogged about Relay. I turned the tele on and tried to fall asleep around 1:30am. That didn't over so hot, my mind was wide awake, so I gave in and watched Dateline. After that was over at 3am, I turned it off...and voila....fell asleep. Finally.

That is why I wasn't awake until 11. Now I am desperately trying to get my nights and days straight. I like to get up early, otherwise I feel like I have slept the day away.

Anyway, I wanted to take a minute to talk about Father's Day....since that is today.

I chose to stay home from church today because I felt that I simply could not listen to Father's Day sermons while I sat there alone. I also didn't think it was fair for Michael to hear it in his Sunday School class...he would have felt weird without his dad there. Also, after I talked to some friends about their experiences with divorce and Father's Day....they advised me to stay home. I am sure I made the right decision, but either way, it was an awkward day.

However....the one person that has been on my heart all day is Steve.

Steve is not biological father...but he is my dad. He has always been there for me, no matter. He is someone who shows the true definition of unconditional love. He is an amazing grandfather as well, my boys adore him. And above all, he puts God first in his life, setting an example that we should all want to follow.

(I love you Steve, Happy Father's Day!)

I also want to say Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there. I always think of this one song on Father's Day....


I Want to Be Just Like You (By Phillips Craig & Dean)

He climbs in my lap for a goodnight hug
He calls me Dad and I call him Bub
With his faded old pillow and a bear named Pooh
He snuggles up close and says, "I want to be like you"
I tuck him in bed and I kiss him goodnight
Trippin' over the toys as I turn out the light
And I whisper a prayer that someday he'll see
He's got a father in God 'cause he's seen Jesus in me

chorus:

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible,Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me

Got to admit I've got so far to go
Make so many mistakes and I'm sure that You know
Sometimes it seems no matter how hard I try
With all the pressures in life I just can't get it all right
But I'm trying so hard to learn from the best
Being patient and kind, filled with Your tenderness
'Cause I know that he'll learn from the things that he sees
And the Jesus he finds will be the Jesus in me

chorus

Right now from where he stands I may seem mighty tall
But it's only 'cause I'm learning from the best Father of them all

chorus:

Lord, I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be just like me
I want to be a holy example
For his innocent eyes to see
Help me be a living Bible, Lord
That my little boy can read
I want to be just like You
'Cause he wants to be like me

Lord I want to be just like you
'Cause he wants to be like me


What a powerful song on Father's Day huh? It always makes me cry. There is nothing in this world like watching a father being moved by this song.

The last thing I want to say about Father's Day is...

You don't have to be male to be the father role in the home. My mother was a single mother who had to play both roles, and she did it wonderfully. It is a difficult task trying to be everything your kids need everyday...it is draining. But, the end rewards will pay off. My mother raised two kids....and now has grand kids...and is happily remarried...and continually walks with God. What a great example of the strength a single mom can have if she just puts her mind to it.

So Happy Father's Day to all of you moms out there that have to play dad everyday.

Thank you mom, for my childhood, and always being there for me...even when you had nothing. I love you.



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment